Stanley Arthur Philips, our Worshipful Master in 1947, is known to virtually every member of Royal Jubilee Lodge since his Initiation in 1921, having generously donated a silver gilt Loving Cup on 19th January 1948 to celebrate his year as Worshipful Master. Although too delicate to be used, to this day the Loving Cup is displayed at the Festive Board and is the prized possession of the lodge.
Stanley was born on the 11th February 1898 to Albert Edward Phillips, a hairdresser, and Lucy Annie Phillips and baptised at St. Andrew’s Parish Church, Stockwell on 20th March 1898. Most of Stanley’s early life seems to have been spent at 140 Landor Road, Stockwell although by the time of his own marriage to Florence Winifred Hills on 17th February 1923 he had moved to 19 Aytown Road, also in Stockwell. Shortly thereafter he moved to his new wife’s address at 7 Ashford Avenue, Muswell Hill before moving to 2 The Chine, Muswell Hill where they remained for the rest of their lives. Both Stanley and his wife Florence were silversmiths at the time of their marriage.
Stanley joined the firm of Hicklenton and Sydal, which became Hicklenton and Phillips in the 1920s, and both Stanley and Howard George Hicklenton were given the Freedom of the City of London on 4th January 1927.
Hicklenton and Phillips were a significant force in the City of London in the first half of the 20th century, trading from various premises including 4 Queen Street, Cheapside EC2 and simultaneously at 29 Cannon Street, EC4. By the late 1940s their portfolio also included 83 Cheapside, EC2. In 1955 they moved to 6 Imperial Parade, New Bridge Street, Ludgate Circus, EC4. There they remained until their deaths in 1966 (Stanley) and 1971 (Howard)
During their partnership they created many important pieces of silver including the Mace for the University of Toronto in 1951 and a box that was presented to Sir Robert Menzies, then Prime Minister of Australia, by the Corporation of the City of London in 1952. Other items have been auctioned through various established auction houses over the years and a number of their advertisements still survive.
The firm of Hicklenton and Phillips still trades today from private premises in Wimbourne, Dorset, although they are now custom badge and emblem makers. Whether there is any connection with the original firm or not is not known without further research.
Stanley’s wife Florence died on 13th April 1964 and Stanley on 3rd July 1966 at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital.